5 AUTISTIC CHILDREN WHO BENEFITTED FROM CHIROPRACTIC THERAPY
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is an early developmental disorder identified by deficits in social communication and interaction, restrictive and/or repetitive behaviors which causes significant impairment in social, occupational, or other areas of life that can not be explained by intellectual disability. ASD commonly presents deficits in three areas: social interaction, social communication, and imaginative thinking. Here are the stories of five different children with Autism Spectrum Disorder that saw improvements with chiropractic care.
- IMPROVED BEHAVIOR, COMMUNICATION & SOCIABILITY: A three year old male with autism and a history of chronic constipation, fussy eating, easy gagging and vomiting, poor sleeping habits, poor weight gain and hyper-sensitivity to touch. Chiropractic care was provided for 9 visits over 12 weeks. The patient demonstrated improvement in behavior, communication and sociability. The course of chiropractic care was associated with improvements.
- IMPROVED HEALTH OUTCOMES & QUALITY OF LIFE: A 10 year old female diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), who originally presented with complaints of neck pain, low back pain, head banging, insomnia and uncontrolled behaviors. 12 chiropractic adjustments were given over an eight week period using the Torque Release Technique®. The patient would come to the clinic in a protective position, taut and rigid. After adjustments, the child was more relaxed. Her outbursts ceased and had a calmer demeanor. Her sleep improved.
- IMPROVED LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT: Two children, under the age of four diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), received NSA care for one year. The specific outcome that was measured was the Preschool Language Scale-4 (PLS-4). The PLS-4 was given four times over a one year period. Expressive and receptive language delays were assessed before, during and after chiropractic care. These children saw an average increase of 24 months of language development in a year, while under chiropractic care.
- DECREASED SEVERITY OF SYMPTOMS: A three year old boy presented with a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder. His diagnosis was based upon observed developmental delays in the areas of communication skills and speech, cognitive function, gross and fine motor skills, ambulation, social and emotional development, and adaptive and self-help skills. Subjective data was collected from direct interview of the patient’s mother as well as reports provided by the occupational therapists and physical therapists who provided care to the child. Improvements were noted after only four months of care. This case demonstrates a link between chiropractic care and improvement of symptoms of Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder.
- IMPROVED POSTURE, BALANCE & GAIT: An 11 year old patient medically diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), Bipolar Disorder, and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD) presents with a chief complaint of upper thoracic pain. A chiropractic exam revealed abnormal asymmetrical posture, poor balance, and disorganized ambulation and leg control. The patient underwent eight weeks of care with one visit per week. He received no other treatment of lifestyle changes during this time period. After eight weeks, he was re-assessed. His abnormal and asymmetrical posture was almost completely symmetrical and his balance had improved. His upper thoracic pain resolved within four weeks.
How can parents find a chiropractor with experience in pediatrics and neurology? It depends on your situation and where you live. Dr. Evan Pridmore specializes in neurological chiropractic care and attends continuing education every month with the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association.
Summit Family Chiropractic, located in Mount Juliet, TN, offers a free consultation so you can meet Dr. Evan Pridmore, the staff, and ask any questions without incurring any charges. This is an adventure we’re on together. But for autism and related conditions, chiropractic is an option well worth exploring.
Journal of Upper Cervical Research, Volume 2017 | Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health; Chiropractic, Volume 2011, 2014, 2018